Maximus Arcade is a commercial computer-based software that allows for seamless interaction with multiple arcade and console emulators while keeping the Windows environment hidden. Although best suited for use in arcade cabinets, it can be configured for use in a kiosk or simply running on a computer with a keyboard, trackball, or game pad. Maximus is the only frontend that you have to pay for, but its features make it well worth considering.
Easy Maximus Arcade setup for X-Arcade on MAME™:
- Download Maximus Arcade (30 day trial), set Destination Folder to "C:\" (without the quotes).
- You can add ROMs to the directory "C:\MAX 2.10\MAME\roms\". When you add ROMs, you will need to open Maximus Arcade, right-click anywhere on the screen and choose "Refresh Game List". Alternatively open Preferences (Use the keyboard's RIGHT-SIDE CONTROL KEY (NOT LEFT) CONTROL+P while in the front end, or the Preferences link found at C:\MAX 2.10\Frontend) and choose the Configuration tab. Next to "Configuration for" choose the emulator you want to look for new ROMs in (example MAME) from the drop-down list. Next click on the "Scan" tab at the bottom, and put a check next to "Force rescan of media folder". Close preferences, your screen may be blank for a few minutes while it is updating. If your ROMs don't appear or don't work see our ROMS page.
- To start Maximus or change Preferences, go to "C:\MAX 2.10\Frontend\". You will want to create shortcuts to these 2 files on your Desktop for example for easy access to them. NOTE: Upon first launch you will get a black screen while Maximus does its initial scan of your games.
Maximus Arcade GUI Button Layout:
|Scroll Up||Joy Up|
|Scroll Down||Joy Down|
|Scroll Left||Joy Left|
|Scroll Right||Joy Right|
|Page Up||Joy Left|
|Page Down||Joy Right|
|Page Up Letter||Button 2|
|Page Down Letter||Button 5|
|Previous Menu||Button 4|
|Add Favorite||Button 6|
|Exit Game (return to Maximus)||Start 1 + Left Pinball - (if it does not go back to the list of game, spin Joy1 and try again.)|
|Exit Maximus Arcade||Start 2 + Right Pinball|
- Invalid Locations: When you add an emulator to Maximus it's going to also add a ROM directory for you as well as possibly some media directories. If you have a ROM/media location set that doesn't have any valid file types in it you will get the Invalid Locations error. So for example, if you have a directory set for Image or Movie but don't have any correct images/movies in that folder (or they are not named correctly), you will get the error. For this reason, always start with just the emulator.exe location and ROMs directly ONLY, and make sure that works before adding more directories for media. And obviously ONLY ADD ONE EMULATOR AT A TIME!
- There is a known Windows software bug with exiting Maximus Arcade on older model X-Arcade controllers, click here for info and workarounds.
- Disable 'Sticky Keys' and 'Filter Keys'.
- Screen is flipping sideways or upside-down when I play?