PLEASE READ THE GUIDE BELOW BEFORE TURNING ANYTHING ON
NOTES (before you begin):
- The keys can be found in the coin slot.
- The game discs are for backup purposes only and already loaded on the PC, you can simply store them inside the cabinet.
- You will be connecting a total of 4 USB cables to the PC, 2 power cords (one for the PC and one for the cabinet), an audio cable, and an HDMI cable for video from the PC to the TV. If your PC only has 3 USB ports on the back, there are 2 more on the front.
- The Purple and Green round connectors on your X-Arcade and inside the machine are not used!
- The cables for the PC are bound with a wire tie and ready for hookup, you can carefully cut/unscrew the wire tie to get the full length of the cables.
- The green/white cable is not needed (for connecting coin door only), simply store it in the cabinet.
- The X-Arcade Tankstick manual is a general manual for the control panel itself, so use the instructions for controlling your Arcade2TV on this page instead.
- Open the rear door and place the PC in the bottom-left section of the Machine with the back of the PC facing to the right. Be sure not to cover the side vent of the PC.
- Connect the 2 USB plugs for the control panel to the USB ports on the back of the PC.
Connect the audio plug to the green audio out on the PC.
Open the control panel tray (it opens like a school desk) and put the keyboard and mouse inside. Run the cables to the PC through the hole in the center, and then connect the USB connections into the back of the computer,
The serial switch box (labeled A/B/C/D) switches the CONTROLS between the PC (switched to A) and consoles (switched to C). Since you will most likely only want to use the PC, make sure the switch is set to A.
You will find the HDMI cable in one of the boxes included with the shipment. Connect one end of the HDMI cable into the back of the PC, connect the other end in to the HDMI-in on your TV.
Plug one end of the power cable that came with the PC into the back of the PC, and the other end into the white power strip.
- Connect the other power cable between the cabinet and your wall socket, a surge protector is recommended.
- IMPORTANT: This step sets the PCs display resolution to 720p. If the PC is set higher such as 1080p it will cause the games to lag because the scanlines feature is very CPU intensive. Turn on the PC, wait for it to fully boot. The screen will be black on the first boot for a few minutes while it scans the software. While this is happening, hold the Exit Game button and press F5 on the keyboard. Then press Ctrl+Alt+F11 and choose 'Maintain Aspect Ratio'. If you miss it, go to step 10.
- If the video doesn't fit the screen (or you missed step 9 above), go to Daphne and start Dragon's Lair. Ignore the game, and press the Exit Game button + F5 on your keyboard. Next press Ctrl+Alt+F11 and choose 'Maintain Display Scaling'. Press the Exit Game button again to go back to the software, and you are all set. You only need to do this once.
IMPORTANT: If the light on the top-right of the control panel is not lit, it will not work. Try switching the serial switchbox from A to B, and then back to A again.
- To choose a game, first pick which system you want to play using the joystick or trackball, then press the Player 1 Start button. Also use the joystick/trackball to scroll the list of games and press Start again to start one.
- After you start up an Arcade game (MAME menu), use the left pinball flipper button closest to you to insert coins, and then press the white Start button(s) with men on them to play.
- To Exit a game, HOLD the left pinball button closest to you and press the Player 1 Start button.
- VOLUME: The primary way to adjust the sound is the sound adjustment found on the wall inside by opening the coin door. (See the Troubleshooting section below for other ways to adjust if needed.) Alternative option in table below.
- When you are all done playing, you can leave the cabinet running, or Tap (don't hold) the power button on the front of the PC and allow the PC to fully shut off. Then you can optionally turn off the main power on the back of the cabinet (or a power strip if you are using one).
- Lights: To operate the lights, open the control panel and use the included remote control to aim at the IR receiver. The white cable coming off of the white box has the IR receiver on the end of it, so if it is not working make sure it is visible (not pushed down into hole in center).
- See full list of other commands listed below.
Maximus Arcade GUI Button Layout:
|Scroll Up||Joy Up|
|Scroll Down||Joy Down|
|Page Up||Joy Left|
|Page Down||Joy Right|
|Page Up Letter||Button 2
|Page Down Letter
||Start 1 or Button 1
|Exit Game (return to Maximus)
||Exit Button (older models: Left Pinball + Start 1)
|Insert Coins (in game)||Left Pinball button (closest to you)|
|Start Game (after coins inserted)||Start 1 or Start 2|
|Game Volume||There is a volume control inside/behind the coin door|
|Raise Volume||Hold Start 2 + Joy Up|
|Lower Volume||Hold Start 2 + Joy Down|
||Hold Start 2 + Press Start 1|
|Put PC to sleep
||Hold Start 2 + Press Right Pinball (closest to you)
|Reboot PC||Hold Start 2 + Press Left Pinball(closest to you)|
- To shut down your cabinet, first press (don't hold) the power button on the front of the PC and allow it to shut down properly. Then you can optionally turn it completely off by turning off the switch on the back of the cabinet.
- If you wish to use a game console, set the serial switch box to C. You can change the audio/video on your TV directly.
- For any games that say "Reset to Factory Defaults" or similar, simply hit the F2 button on your keyboard. You will only have to do this once.
- MANUAL GAME CONTROLS CONFIG: You can change the controls for any game by simply pushing the "Tab" key while a game is already running to access the controls menu. The Input (this game) overrides the general input settings and adds custom controller settings for just the game being used. Input (general) option allows controller settings to be applied to all games (not recommended).
SOUND: The primary way to adjust the sound is the sound adjustment in the coin door opening. If you need it to go louder still, go to options in Maximus by pressing RCtrl+P (Right-Control+P) while in a menu (not in game), then go to the Controller tab, then the Menus sub-tab. Next to Volume menu put in a value (for example the letter v). Save that when it asks (overwrite original), and now when in a menu press the v key to open the volume menu. You can press left and right on the arrow keys to adjust volume, v key again to close the menu.
For MAME games you can adjust the volume by pressing the ' key (key above Tab key normally) and adjust using left/right arrows on the keyboard. For some games (such as Rampage World Tour and Mortal Kombat games), the - and = keys can be used to raise or lower the in-game volume.
- Screensaver: You can disable or change the Screensaver options in Maximus by pressing RCtrl+P (Right-Control+P) while in a menu (not in game) and going to the Options Tab then Screensaver sub-tab.
- Scanline feature is on by default which makes the games look more like they did on an original CRT monitor. You can disable/enable it, to do so (while outside of a game only) hold the Player 2 Start button (or 2 on your keyboard) and press F1 to enable it or F2 to disable it.
- Q*Bert (if you have it) is a 4-way game where the joystick was mounted in an X mount. There is no way to make a diagonal (in other words 2 keys pressed at once) to be a direction to compensate. So to play it you will want play it with that in mind, Up=up-right, Down=down-left, Left=up-left, and Right=down-right.
- To delete the game save states and delete all of your games high scores, hold the Player 2 Start button (or 2 on your keyboard) and press End on your keyboard.
Please make sure you read the MAME license and MAME ROM legality, we cannot provide any advice on legality of ROMs, nor any assistance on how/where to download MAME ROMs. Please do not ask any questions about where/how to download MAME ROMs! MAME Info
NOTE:We are not responsible for any changes made to your PC settings. We do not recommend going into the operating system unless you are certain you know what you are doing. To exit Maximus to Windows, while in the menus (not in a game) on the keyboard hold Right Ctrl and press Q.
New game ROMs can be put in the "PUT MAME ROMS HERE!" folder found on your desktop (do not extract the .zip files). If you add new ROM files to the ROMs folder, you will need to tell Maximus Arcade to Refresh the Game List. To do this, Open Preferences (Use the keyboard's RIGHT-SIDE CONTROL KEY (NOT LEFT) CONTROL+P while in the front end, or the Preferences link found at C:\MAX 2.10\Frontend) and choose the Configuration tab. Next to "Configuration for" choose the emulator you want to look for new ROMs in (example MAME) from the drop-down list. Next click on the "Scan" tab at the bottom, and put a check next to "Force rescan of media folder". Close preferences, your screen may be blank for a few minutes while it is updating. If your ROMs don't appear or don't work see our ROMS help page.
- If the light on the control panel is not illuminated, the joysticks and buttons will not work! Make sure the A/B/C/D switchbox is set to A, the serial connection is connected firmly to the back of the Tankstick, and that the USB connection with purple end next to it is plugged into a USB port on the back of the PC. If you still don't get a light, try switching the switchbox to B and then back to A (if this continues to happen see solution here).
- Game lag, sound skipping: This step sets the PCs display resolution to 720p. If the PC is set higher such as 1080p it will cause the games to lag because the scanlines feature is very CPU intensive. To change it, go to Daphne and start Dragon's Lair. Ignore the game, and hold the Exit Game button and tap F5 on your keyboard. Next on your keyboard press Ctrl+Alt+F11 and choose 'Maintain Display Scaling'. Press the Exit Game button again to go back to the software, and you are all set. You should only need to do this once. You can alternatively exit to Windows and manually change it there. You can also disable the scanlines feature, to do so (while outside of a game only) hold the Player 2 Start button (or 2 on your keyboard) and press F1 to enable it or F2 to disable it.
- To test your controller, first run the game Dragon's Lair from the Daphne menu, hold the Player 2 Start button (or 2 on your keyboard) and press T on your keyboard. When done testing, press Escape on your keyboard to go back to the game software, then use the exit game button as usual to go back to the list of games.
- If you get a message saying "Invalid Locations", or you want to restore the preferences to the factory default; hold the Player 2 Start button (or 2 on your keyboard) and press Delete on your keyboard. Choose Yes, then close Preferences (or just reboot the PC). - Alternative option for older software you will need to restore the Maximus Arcade default preferences. To do this, exit Maximus to Windows by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del simultaneously to open Task Manager, and choose End Task on 'Arcade Frontend'. Next press the 'More Details' button and Choose File>Run, then type in "explorer" without the quotes and hit enter. Then you will need to go to the directory "C:\MAX 2.10\! Restore Default Prefs\" and run the file called "! File Copier". Then simply reboot the PC.
- If you upgrade Windows (not recommended), you will need to do the step above and also run the file "Registry Shell". You will also need to re-input the Maximus Registration code.
- If your screen is flipping sideways while playing, you will need to disable the video cards built in Hotkeys (disabled by default). To do this, first exit Maximus to Windows, on the keyboard hold Right Ctrl and press Q (from any menu screen, not in a game). Then right-click anywhere on the desktop and go to Hotkeys and choose disable. From here you can reboot the PC.
- Complete power loss: In the AC Inlet on the back of the cabinet there is a fuse holder between the rocker switch and AC Inlet. There are 2x 250V 10A 20mm fuses in this holder, one is a spare. It's important to get a flat head that goes under the lip and that you bring it from the side that is in the pictures.
- X-Arcade™ Tankstick Manual
- X-Arcade Coin Door Manual
The PC will also need to be set to Maintain Display Scaling. To do this,
- First exit the arcade software by pressing and holding RCtrl (right-Ctrl) and then pressing the letter Q on your keyboard.
- Right-click anywhere on the Desktop and choose 'Graphics Options>Panel fit>Maintain Display Scaling'.
Make sure the HDMI cable is connected properly from the computer to the TV. Also make sure that you have the corresponding HDMI input selected on your TV based on which HDMI input you connected the HDMI cable to on the TV.