Adding MAME™ Arcade Game ROMs
Please make sure you read the MAME™ license and MAME™ ROM legality, we cannot provide any advice on the legality of ROMs, nor any assistance on how/where to download MAME™ ROMS. Please do not ask us any questions about where/how to download MAME™ ROMS!
WARNING: We are not responsible for any changes made to your PC settings. We do not recommend going into the operating system unless you are certain you know what you are doing. Make a backup of the entire C:\Max 2.10\ folder before making any changes. Do not make any changes that you cannot undo, and take notes of any changes you make so that you can undo them if needed.
- The version of MAME™ on the PC is .167, and we do not recommend updating it! It is a specially compiled version of MAME™ with DirectInput support, and the hotkeys and some games will stop working if you attempt to change it.
- To exit Maximus to Windows, while in the menus (not in a game) on the keyboard press Right Ctrl + Q (hold Ctrl key on right-side of keyboard and press letter Q key).
- Certain keys will not work while the X-Hotkeys program is running (E.g. 2 key and numpad keys). Press the ~ key to disable it while you are using the keyboard, or alternatively right-click on the X-Hotkeys icon found in the system tray near the clock (bottom-right, X icon) to disable it.
- Your PC has built in Wifi to connect to the internet if needed, but remember to exit the X-Hotkeys program before entering your Wifi password.
- We recommend disconnecting the PC from the internet before going back to playing, as background Windows Updates may interfere with gameplay. You can disable Windows Update, but this will make your PC non-secure when connected to the internet, so we don't recommend disabling it.
- New MAME™ ROMs can be put in the "PUT MAME ROMS HERE!" folder found on your desktop (do not extract the .zip files).
- After you add new game ROM files to the ROMs folder, you will need to tell Maximus Arcade to Refresh the Game List. To do this:
- While in the menus (not in a game) to open Preferences, on the keyboard press Right Ctrl + P (hold Ctrl key on right-side of keyboard and press letter P key). You can alternatively click Preferences found in the folder C:\MAX 2.10\Frontend\.
- Choose the 'Configuration' tab. Next to "Configuration for" choose the emulator you want to look for new ROMs in (example MAME™) from the drop-down list.
- Click on the "Scan" tab at the bottom.
- Put a check next to "Force rescan of media folder".
- Close preferences, your screen will be blank for a few minutes while it is updating. If your ROMs don't appear or don't work see our ROMs page.
Removing MAME™ Arcade Game ROMs
Some folks may want to remove games from their cabinet, such as mature games for example where children may be using it. To do so just open the ROMs folder from the shortcut on the desktop and either move or delete the file names of the games you want to remove. Some examples: Mortal Kombats are mk2.zip and mk3.zip, Satan's Hollow is shollow.zip, Once you delete the files just have Maximus Arcade rescan your games as outlined above.
Adding Other Emulators
NOTE: We do not help with the setup of other emulators, nor be held responsible for any problems caused in you trying to add them. You can otherwise get instructions for doing so here. MAME™ will currently emulate a wide range of other console games, see how Genesis is set up as an example.