Unfortunately NetherRealm Studios® did not put much thought into the control options in Mortal Kombat™ games for PC. Mainly that they make it nearly impossible to use keyboard-based controllers/encoders for controls in the games, even though keyboard-based controllers have been around since forever. We recommend that you contact NetherRealm Studios® to request that they release a patch to address this, or post to their Twitter and/or Facebook page.
One easy workaround is to simply use one of our console adapters on your PC so the X-Arcade just acts like a gamepad.
Other options for each:
Mortal Kombat X PC Setup Options:As of launch, MKX is a complete controller NIGHTMARE! Hopefully these bugs in the game will be fixed expeditiously. Problems include:
- You can't clear a keyboard key binding in the controls menu.
- The arrow keys are permanently assigned to player 2 (even if player 2 isn't using them).
- You can't change what keys are set to Start (Enter) and Back (Escape) to other keys, there is no setting to change these.
- Non-Xbox 360 gamepads show the same buttons in the menus and moves list as a 360 gamepad instead of just listing them as their button assignment in Windows, and even worse they aren't even assigned the same as a 360 gamepad.
- If you use a keyboard-based controller, the game's moves list shows keyboard letters instead of the functions they perform (eg Front Punch, Back Punch, etc), making it impossible to use.
- Keyboards are set up as Direct Input devices, which means the game has full control of the keyboard and treats each keyboard as a separate input device. So you can't just set up the key bindings on your keyboard and then use them on the X-Arcade, and you can't use something like AutoHotKey to work around this.
Option 1: Use one of our console adapters on your PC so the X-Arcade just acts like a gamepad. This is the easiest way.
Option 2: Use VJoy to make the keyboard emulate a gamepad:
- Download VJoy and install it. Windows may warn you that it's an unsigned driver, choose continue anyway.
- Download our custom .ini file and unzip it to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VJoy'.
- Open VJoy, click the 'Open ini' button and choose the 'MKX-Arcade.ini' file.
- Play! The controls are set up the same as our 360 layout.
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition PC Setup:
Unfortunately NetherRealm Studios® did not put much thought into the control options in Mortal Kombat Komplete™ for PC. For example, you cannot play with 2 players on one keyboard or a keyboard encoder like have been used in many brands of game controllers for many years. We recommend that you contact NetherRealm Studios® to request that they release a patch to address this.
2-player X-Arcade™ Controller Setup :
You can make the X-Arcade™ act like an Xbox 360™ Gamepad. Simply unzip the file below to your Mortal Kombat™ installation directory (default: \Program Files (x86)\Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition\DiscContentPC). You can edit the included x360kb.ini to change keys used. There is also Tester included in it that you can use to verify your settings.
IMPORTANT: Under the "Keyboard" setting page you must set the the keyboard keys to unused keyboard keys, such as numbers 1-0, Insert, Home, Delete, End. See image below for example. You do not need to change any Controller settings for this.