NOTE: The default button layout that MAME™ uses for the X-Arcade™ is the exact same one that is used in the X-Arcade™ Test Utility Program. This means that if your controller works in the X-Arcade™ Test Utility Program, then your controller is working perfectly, and it will work in MAME™. If it does not then the problem is your MAME settings not the controller, so check your settings in MAME™.
- TEST YOUR X-ARCADE™: If your controller doesn't work in the X-Arcade™ Test Utility Program, then it will NOT work in MAME™. Download the X-Arcade™ Test Utility Program
- If joystick 1 is the only thing not working, turn your NUM LOCK (NLOCK) key ON (on your keyboard).
- If you mess up some controls (or a screen like volume or similar is coming on when you press a button), delete the "default.cfg" file that is in the "cfg" folder in MAME™.
- Make sure the Multiple Keyboards option is turned off, as it may be assigning your keyboard to controller 1 and the X-Arcade™ to controller 2.
- The X-Arcade™ controller config file may not work with every version and revision of MAME™, If it does not work for you, then you can simply manually configure MAME controls like so:
MANUAL CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION: Start up a game and press the "Tab" key to access the controls menu. The Input (general) option allows controller settings to be applied to all games. Input (this game) overrides the general input settings and adds custom controller settings for just the game you are currently playing. If pressing left and right on joystick 1 does not skip the 'OK' screen, then you will have to use the O and K keys on your keyboard instead.
- Do not play MAME™ from a CD or DVD disk as it cannot save your controller settings this way.
- Get ROMS (ROMs are games, none are included and we do not supply ROM files!) Put them in the "roms" subfolder in the "MAME Plus!" folder (do not unzip them). IMPORTANT: The versions of ROMs you use should match the version of MAME you are using, or they will not work. To see which working ROMs you have, click on the "Available Arcades" folder on the top-left. If none show up, press F5 on your keyboard to refresh.
- Trackball: If you have another mouse/touchpad connected to the PC, you will want to be sure that the option for 'Enable multiple mice' is unchecked. Alternatively you can make the X-Arcade™ Trackball the default mouse. The easiest way to do this is to disable the other mouse/touchpad in Device Manager (The X-Arcade™ Trackball shows up as "Samsung" mouse), then re-enable it. If you have a USB mouse, you can simply unplug it, reboot, and then plug it back in again. Otherwise you will need to change all of the default mouse buttons and movements to the X-Arcade™ Trackball manually.
- If you are having any erratic controls or the controls seem to suddenly stop working at time, try disabling Multi-threading in the MAME options.
- If you still have problems, please visit the MAME™ FAQ Page here
Official MAMEDev Wiki - The home page of the MAME™ developer wiki, packed with helpful information!
EasyEmu - Guides and tutorials for dummies covering only the most popular emulators.
MAME™ For Dummies - The quickest quick start guide on the net for M.A.M.E.™
MAMEWorld™ Forum - Get help with MAME™ here.